The photos in this collection were not dated nor were the subjects identified. Scanned to CDs by the Monroe Fordham Regional History Center, Buffalo State College, 2002. For more information on the Monroe Fordham Regional History Center Collections, please visit: http://library.buffalostate.edu/archives/mfc/collections
Herbert L. Bellamy, Sr. was born on April 23, 1931 in Burgaw, North Carolina.In 1951, Herbert served in the U.S. Marine Corps and was honorably discharged in 1952. Mr. Bellamy moved to Lackawanna, New York where he met his future wife, Irene Parham. Mr. Bellamy founded 1490 Enterprises, Inc., a not-for-profit community center in 1969. he served as president until 2002, when he was succeeded by his son, Herbert L. Bellamy, Jr. He took a blighted, inner city warehouse and turned an eyesore into an oasis for the entire community. It presently houses many agencies and programs, feeds over 150 seniors a day and is a gathering point for the elderly. As owner and manager of Bellamy Enterprises, Mr. Bellamy has provided housing as well as employment.
Mr. Bellamy received over 150 awards and honors including the first Roberto Clemente Humanitarian Award, Man of the Year, Canisius College President’s Award, the Buffalo Urban League Family Award and an honorary degree from Canisius College. He was the first African American civil service commissioner, first director and vice president the Downtown Nursing Home. He served as Councilman-at-Large for the City of Buffalo for nine years. Mr. Bellamy also served on many boards; Canisius Board of Regents, Western New York Liquor Retailers, Bethel Head Start Program and others. He was a lifetime member of the NAACP. In 1990, Bellamy was appointed by Governor Mario Cuomo as a member of the New York State Commission on Judicial Conduct. He also served as a Director of Buffalo and Fort Erie Public Bridge Authority in 1994. In 2001, a section of Jefferson Avenue between East Delavan Avenue and East Ferry Street was designated as “Herbert L. Bellamy Way.” Mr. Bellamy died on March 8, 2006.