History Department Intern: Andrew Pothier
The WWI Postcard Collection contains pictures and illustrations representing prevalent cultural themes from war time. These postcards paint a thousand words about life on the front and capture the spirit of one of the worlds greatest eras.
This website is drawn from Mr. Richard J. Whittington’s private collection of nearly 5,000 cards and images from the years immediately preceding and including the First World War, circa. 1890-1918. The purpose of the site is to offer public access to the many moods, emotions, sentiments, and passions that were unleashed by this conflict.
List of project participants: Marc Bayer; Sharon Cosentino; Robert Dege; Hope Dunbar; Maureen Lindstrom; Andrew Nicholls; Andrew Pothier; Steve Pritchard; Dennis Reed; Joe Riggie
Special Thanks and Acknowledgments: Provost’s Incentive Grant; The Research Foundation; The Whittington Family; Archives & Special Collections, E. H. Butler Library
Browse the WWI Postcards from the Richard J. Whittington Collection:
- Exhibit: Commander Postcards
- Exhibit: French Postcards
- Exhibit: German Postcards with Similar Themes
- Exhibit: Humor Postcards
- Exhibit: Portrait/Camera Eye Postcards
- Exhibit: Pre-War Hobbies from a Simpler Time
- Exhibit: Pre-War Postcards
- Exhibit: Sentiment, Separation & Grief Postcards
- Exhibit: Youth/Children Postcards