Archaeological survey of the site of a proposed maintenance building at Crown Point State Historic Site located the remains of three historic structures, identified as temporary housing of 18th-century soldiers during the initial construction of the extensive British fortifications, which began in 1759. These archaeological features and associated objects are evidence of both the material conditions of the soldiers and the social relationships among them. The spatial organization of the encampement separated the Provincial regiments from the British regulars. Within a single Provincial regiment's camp, the officers' huts were separated from their troops. The small objects recovered archaeologically are viewed in terms of their role in separating social groups of different ranks while uniting men of similar rank. In addition, the archaeological evidence suggests that the Provincials' camps were not "irregular" and "chaotic." By 1759, the Provincials' encampments reflect an increasingly professional or British attitude.
Fisher, Charles L.
"The Archaeology of Provincial Officers' Huts at Crown Point State Historic Site,"
Northeast Historical Archaeology:
24, Article 6.
Available at: http://digitalcommons.buffalostate.edu/neha/vol24/iss1/6