An archaeological survey at the 1782-83 winter encampent of the Continental Army at New Windsor, New York, has revealed the presence of several large pits or depressions located some 250ft (76.2m) from the site of the soldiers' huts. Test excavations and chemcial analysis of the soils have determined that these pits were utilized as latrines or necessaries. The land use pattern at the site, including the location of the soldiers' huts and the delineation of use areas for trash disposal and necessaries, reflects the officers' successful attempt to impose order and discipline on the troops.
Lenik, Edward J.
"An Admirable Police Maintained: Evidence of Sanitary Practices at the New Windsor Cantonment,"
Northeast Historical Archaeology:
16, Article 4.
Available at: http://digitalcommons.buffalostate.edu/neha/vol16/iss1/4